Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Rep. Barrow Supports Repeal Obamacare, Again


Earlier this month, the Obama Administration announced they were delaying implementation of the employer mandate in the Affordable Care Act, also known as “Obamacare,” which requires employers with more than 50 full-time workers to offer health coverage or face steep fines. When I travel around the 12th District, businesses of all sizes talk to me about how they can’t afford the employer mandate.  In fact, one of the main reasons I voted against the bill to begin with, was because the employer mandate was going to hurt job growth in our region.


This week, the House of Representatives will take a vote to delay the implementation of this provision of Obamacare.  I think we need to do more.  A delay is a good thing for the job creators in the 12th District, but a full repeal of the employer mandate would be even better.  I’m proud to be leading the effort to fully repeal the employer mandate in the House of Representatives with my Republican colleagues, Congressman Charles Boustany (R-La.) and Pat Tiberi (R-Ohio).

By delaying the employer mandate, the Administration is signaling what we’ve been saying all along – folks across the country, Democrats and Republicans, don’t want it and, more importantly, they can’t afford it.  We can take a responsible approach to healthcare reform.  Remember that slogan, “Repeal and Replace?”  I’m committed to fixing what’s broken in Obamacare, and I’m working to keep provisions we need, like the ability to prevent insurance companies from denying coverage based on pre-existing conditions.

It’s time for the political games to stop.  We can vote to delay the employer mandate, but that should be followed by a vote to fully repeal it, the individual mandate, and the Individual Payment Advisory Board (IPAB), also known as the “death panel," because that’s what folks are calling on us to do.  I’m leading this effort in the House with bills I’ve co-sponsored this year.

I want to know your thoughts on this.  Will you please take my poll right now?  The vote is coming up this week, and your opinion matters to me.

As always, if I can ever be of any help to you on this, or any other issue, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

John Barrow

No comments:

Post a Comment